1. Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott led the NFL with 1,631 rushing yards as a rookie in 2016, but fell short of the NFL rookie record of 1,808 yards. Name the football Hall of Famer who holds the record.
a. Walter Payton; b. Eric Dickerson; c. Barry Sanders; d. Emmitt Smith.
2. As of Aug. 18, New York Yankees slugger Aaron Judge had hit 37 home runs, establishing a Yankees rookie record held by a Hall of Famer. Who held the previous record of 29 home runs?
a. Babe Ruth; b. Lou Gehrig; c. Joe DiMaggio; d. Mickey Mantle.
3. Justin Thomas won this year’s PGA Championship, a golf tournament Tiger Woods has won four times. Who is the only golfer to have won the tournament more times than Woods (5)?
a. Arnold Palmer; b. Jack Nicklaus; c. Gary Player; d. Phil Mickelson.
4. The Edmonton Oilers’ Connor McDavid won this year’s Hart Trophy as the NHL’s Most Valuable Player at age 20. Only two players have ever won the award at a younger age – age 19. One is Sidney Crosby. Who is the other?
a. Rocket Richard; b. Gordie Howe; c. Bobby Orr; d. Wayne Gretzky.
5. Tennis star Serena Williams has won six U.S. Open women’s singles titles, tied for the most during the Open era (since 1968). With whom does she share the record?
a. Chris Evert; b. Billy Jean King; c. Martina Navratilova; d. Steffi Graf.
6. With 87 wins in their first 122 games, the Los Angeles Dodgers are enjoying one of the best seasons in Major League Baseball history. They will need to continue their hot pace to have a chance to match the single-season record of 116 wins, originally set by the Chicago Cubs in 1906. Which American League team shares the record?
a. New York Yankees; b. Cleveland Indians; c. Boston Red Sox; d. Seattle Mariners.
7. With their dramatic come-from-behind victory over the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5, the NFL’s New England Patriots became Super Bowl champions for the fifth time. They’re still one win short of the record, though. Which team has won the Super Bowl six times?
a. Pittsburgh Steelers; b. Dallas Cowboys; c. Miami Dolphins; d. San Francisco 49ers.
8. By beating the Cleveland Cavaliers in this past season’s NBA Finals, the Golden State Warriors have won two championships in three seasons. However, they’re still well short of the amazing streak of titles won by the Boston Celtics during the 1960s (starting in 1959). How many consecutive championships did the Celtics win?
a. five; b. six; c. seven; d. eight.
9. With the addition of the Las Vegas Golden Knights, the National Hockey League features 31 teams. The league’s largest expansion took place in 1967, when the league added six teams to the Original Six, doubling the size of the league. Which of the following teams was NOT part of that expansion?
a. California Seals; b. Minnesota North Stars; c. Vancouver Canucks; d. Pittsburgh Penguins.
10. According to statistics from the Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi now rank sixth and seventh respectively in all-time goals scored in top-level association football. The top five includes Pelé and Romário of Brazil, Germany’s Gerd Müller, Ferenc Puskás of Hungary, and Josef Bican of Czechoslovakia. Which of these is the all-time leader with 805 goals?
1. b, Dickerson, set in 1983; 2. c, DiMaggio, set in 1936; 3. b, Nicklaus; 4. d, Gretzky, in 1979-80; 5. a, Evert; 6. d, Mariners, in 2001 with a 116-46 mark; 7. a, Pittsburgh; 8. d, eight; 9. c, Vancouver (which was added in 1970 along with the Buffalo Sabres); 10. Bican, scored in 530 matches from 1931 to 1956 for an astonishing goals-per-game ratio of 1.52.