1. Who is the oldest pitcher to throw a perfect game in major league baseball?
a. Walter Johnson; b. Bob Gibson; c. Nolan Ryan; d. Randy Johnson.
2. Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers enters the 2015 NFL season with the highest career passer rating, at 106.0. Which quarterback currently ranks second all-time with a 97.6 rating?
a. Steve Young; b. Tony Romo; c. Peyton Manning; d. Tom Brady
3. Seth Martin, a former NHL goaltender who died on Sept. 6, 2014, played with the Lethbridge Native Sons from 1951 to 1953. In his lone NHL season – the expansion year of 1967-68 – Martin played with the St. Louis Blues, where he backed up a future Hall of Famer. Who?
a. Terry Sawchuk; b. Jacques Plante; c. Glenn Hall; d. Johnny Bower
4. If U.S. tennis star Serena Williams successfully defends her women’s singles title at the U.S. Open tournament currently underway, it will not only be her fourth straight U.S. Open crown, but she will break a tie with a former tennis great for the most U.S. Open women’s titles since the Open era began in 1968. With whom does she presently share the record?
a. Chris Evert; b. Billy Jean King; c. Martina Navratilova; Steffi Graf
5. Tiger Woods is the only two-time winner of the Fed Ex Cup championship on the PGA Tour. Which of the following golfers has never won the Fed Ex Cup awarded to the winner of the PGA Tour’s season-ending playoffs?
a. Jim Furyk; b. Phil Mickelson; c. Brandt Snedeker; d. Bill Haas
6. The NFL’s Seattle Seahawks are attempting to reach the Super Bowl for the third consecutive year. Since the Super Bowl began in 1967, only one team in history has played in at least three straight Super Bowls. Can you name that team?
a. Dallas Cowboys; b. Pittsburgh Steelers; c. New England Patriots; d. Buffalo Bills
7. In the 1989-90 WHL season, when the Lethbridge Hurricanes won a franchise record 51 games, the team featured six players who topped the 100-point mark. Who led the Hurricanes in scoring that season with 142 points?
a. Wes Walz; b. Bryan Bosch; c. Corey Lyons; d. Mark Greig
8. This season the Toronto Blue Jays lineup features three players who have reached the 30-home run mark. It’s the first time the Blue Jays have had that many players hit 30 or more homers since the 2000 season when four Jays reached that mark. Carlos Delgado, Tony Batista and Brad Fullmer were three of the four membrs of that group. Who was the fourth?
a. Jose Cruz; b. Raul Mondesi; c. Joe Carter; d. Darrin Fletcher
9. The selection of Stephen Curry as the NBA’s most valuable player last season marked the ninth consecutive season that the MVP award has gone to a player under age 30. Who was the last player age 30 or more to win MVP honours?
a. Michael Jordan; b. Steve Nash; c. Tim Duncan; d. Kobe Bryant
10. Forty-two-year-old Jaromir Jagr, with 722 career goals in the NHL (fifth highest all-time) is among a group of 18 players who have scored 600 or more goals in the NHL. Which active player is the closest to reaching 600, going into this season with a career total of 589 goals?
a. Marian Hossa; b. Vincent Lecavalier; c. Alex Ovechkin; d. Jarome Iginla
1. d. Johnson, at age 40 in 2004; 2. b. Romo, just ahead of Manning’s 97.5; 3. c., Glenn Hall; 4. a, Chris Evert; 5. b, Mickelson; 6. d, Buffalo, which played in four straight from 1991 to 1994; 7. c, Corey Lyons, with two more points than Walz; 8. a, Jose Cruz, with 31 homers to go along with 41 each by Delgado and Batista and 32 by Fullmer; 9. b, Nash, in 2005-06 at age 31 (he also won it the year before at age 30); 10. d, Iginla.