1. Which Hall of Fame running back recorded the longest touchdown run in NFL history in 1983, 99 yards?
a. Walter Payton; b. Tony Dorsett; c. Eric Dickerson; d. Marcus Allen
2. In the 1992 film “A League of Their Own,” about the All-American Girls Baseball League, Geena Davis portrayed star catcher Dottie Hinson. The AAGBL’s real “Dottie” — Dottie Stolze — primarily played a different position. Which one?
a. first base; b. third base; c. shortstop; d. outfield
3. Vic Howe, the younger brother of hockey great Gordie Howe, played parts of three seasons in the NHL with the New York Rangers in the 1950s. Gordie played right wing; what position did Vic play?
a. right wing; b. centre; c. defence; d. goaltender
4. Basketball Hall of Famer Larry Bird served as head coach of the Indiana Pacers for three seasons in the late 1990s. What was Bird’s winning percentage as a coach?
a. .475; b. .522; c. .583; d. .687
5. Which professional soccer club has paid five of the eight highest transfer fees for star players in history?
a. Barcelona; b. Manchester United; c. Real Madrid; d. Arsenal
6. Which former baseball player once said, “The only reason I don’t like playing in the World Series is I can’t watch myself play.”?
a. Bob Uecker; b. Reggie Jackson; c. Tug McGraw; d. Barry Bonds
7. Who is the only quarterback in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who wasn’t drafted by the NFL?
a. George Blanda; b. Johnny Unitas; c. Roger Staubach; d. Warren Moon
8. Which golfer won the 1984 Masters Tournament with the help of a 60-foot birdie putt on the 10th hole at Augusta?
a. Ben Crenshaw; b. Seve Ballesteros; c. Greg Norman; d. Jack Nicklaus
9. Which former NHL coach was a winner of the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s best defenceman during his playing days?
a. Ron Wilson; b. Randy Carlyle; c. Adam Oates; d. John Tortorella
10. The introduction of the 24-second shot clock in the NBA immediately perked up scoring, with teams averaging 93.1 points per game, an increase of 13.6 points over the previous season. Within three years, every team averaged over 100 points. What season did the shot clock first appear?
a. 1954-55; b. 1957-58; c. 1960-61; d. 1963-64
1. b, Dorsett; 2. c, shortstop; 3. a, right wing (Vic Howe died on Jan. 31 this year at age 85); 4. b, Reggie Jackson; 5. d, .687; 6. c, Real Madrid; 7. d, Moon; 8. a, Crenshaw; 9. b, Carlyle, with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1980-81; 10. a, 1954-55