1. Hank Aaron, the former all-time home run champion with 755 career homers, played 23 seasons in the major leagues. How many times did Aaron lead the league in home runs?
a. 4 times; b. 5 times; c. 6 times; d. 7 times
2. When the New England Patriots won three Super Bowls in four years from the 2001 to 2004 seasons, Tom Brady was the game’s Most Valuable Player on the first two occasions. Which New England player earned MVP honours in the team’s third Super Bowl triumph?
a. placekicker Adam Vinatieri; b. wide receiver Deion Branch; c. running back Corey Dillon; d. linebacker Tedy Bruschi
3. Joe Malone, a star from the National Hockey League’s early years, scored five or more goals in a game a record five times, including the most goals in a game, seven. Wayne Gretzky recorded four five-goal games during his career, tying another Hall of Famer for second most games with five or more goals? Who else had four five-goal games?
a. Rocket Richard; b. Bobby Hull; c. Brett Hull; d. Mario Lemieux
4. Baseball Hall of Famer Ernie Banks, who died Friday at the age of 83, was a two-time MVP and the first shortstop to hit 40 or more home runs in a season. He finished his career with 512 home runs. How many times did Banks reach the 40-home run mark?
a. twice; b. 3 times; c. 4 times; d. 5 times
5. In April 2014, Lexi Thompson became the second youngest modern winner of a women’s major golf championship when she won the Kraft Nabisco Championship at age 19. Who was the youngest major winner, at age 18?
a. Nancy Lopez; b. Annika Sorenstam; c. Morgan Pressel; d. Lorena Ochoa
6. Former NBA journeyman Elmore Smith holds the NBA record for most blocked shots in a game with 17. The second-highest single-game total is 15, accomplished most recently by Shaquille O’Neal in 1993. The only other player with 15 blocked shots in a game did it twice. Can you name this player?
a. Mark Eaton; b. Manute Bol; c. Dikembe Mutombo; d. Hakeen Olajuwon
7. Former Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Norman “Wild Man” Willey supposedly recorded 17 sacks in a 1952 game against the New York Giants, but that was before the sack was an official NFL statistic. The official record for most sacks by a player in one game is seven, set in 1990. Can you name the player who holds the record?
a. Derrick Thomas, Kansas City; b. Lawrence Taylor, New York Giants; c. Bruce Smith, Buffalo; d. Reggie White, Philadelphia
8. Next to Canada and the United States, which country has produced the most NHL players?
a. USSR-Russia; b. Sweden; c. Czechoslovakia; d. Finland
9. Which basketball Hall of Famer scored 60 or more points against NCAA Division I opponents a record four times during his outstanding college career.
a. Oscar Robertson; b. “Pistol” Pete Maravich; c. Lew Alcindor (later Kareem Abdul-Jabbar); d. Larry Bird
10. Novak Djokovic is a four-time winner of the Australian Open tennis tournament, joining two others who have won four Aussie Open men’s titles since 1970. One is Roger Federer. Who is the other?
a. Jimmy Connors; b. Ivan Lendl; c. Pete Sampras; d. Andre Agassi
1. a, 4 times; 2. b, Deion Branch; 3. d, Lemieux; 4. d, five times; 5. c, Pressel, at the 2007 Kraft Nabisco Championship; 6. b, Manute Bol, in 1986 and 1987; 7. a, Derrick Thomas, vs. Seattle Seahawks; 8. c, Czechoslovakia; 9. b, Maravich; 10. d. Agassi