1. Which of these former or current NFL stars was NOT born on Christmas Day?
a. Larry Csonka; b. Ken Stabler; c. Marshawn Lynch; d. Demaryius Thomas
2. Dee Gordon, with 64 stolen bases in 2014, became the first Los Angeles Dodger to lead the league in steals since which player?
a. Maury Wills; b. Davey Lopes, in 1976; c. Steve Sax; d Delino DeShields
3. War Admiral, the Triple Crown winner who lost to Seabiscuit in the famous 1938 match race, was the son of which famed thoroughbred race horse?
a. Sir Barton; b. Man O’ War; c. Gallant Fox; d. Omaha
4. When Henrik and Daniel Sedin of the Vancouver Canucks each won the NHL scoring title in 2009-10 and 2010-11 respectively, they became just the second set of brothers to win the scoring crown. The others were Max and Doug Bentley in the 1940s. Which team did the Bentley boys play for when they led the league in scoring?
a. Chicago Black Hawks; b. New York Rangers; c. Detroit Red Wings; d. Toronto Maple Leafs
5. Going into the current NBA season, Serge Ibaka of the Oklahoma Thunder has led the league in blocked shots for four consecutive seasons. If he leads the NBA again this year, he will match the record of five consecutive seasons set in the 1990s by which former NBA defensive standout?
a. Alonzo Mourning; b. Hakeem Olajuwon; c. David Robinson; d. Dikembe Mutombo
6. With Marcus Mariota’s selection as this year’s winner of the Heisman Trophy recognizing U.S. college football’s outstanding player, quarterbacks have won 13 of the past 14 Heismans. Can you name the current NFL running back who interrupted that streak by winning the 2009 Heisman? A bonus point if you can name the college for which he starred.
7. When Canada won the gold medal at the 1991 world junior hockey championships in Saskatoon, which future NHL star led the team in scoring in the tournament?
a. Eric Lindros; b. Scott Niedermayer; c. Steven Rice; d. Brad May
8. Who was the first NFL quarterback to pass for 40,000 yards in his career?
a. Sammy Baugh; b. Johnny Unitas; c. Fran Tarkenton; d. Dan Fouts
9. The 1979 major league baseball season produced the first and only co-winners of the Most Valuable Player award, with slugger Willie Stargell of the pennant-winning Pittsburgh Pirates sharing the honour. Can you name the other player to share the National League’s MVP award that year?
a. Dave Kingman; b. Dave Winfield; c. Keith Hernandez; d. J.R. Richard
10. Before going on to success as a coach in the National Hockey League, Ken Hitchcock had a successful coaching stint in the Western Hockey League, twice winning WHL coach of the year honours. With which team?
a. Red Deer Rebels; b. Brandon Wheat Kings; c. Spokane Chiefs; d. Kamloops Blazers
1. c, Lynch; 2. b, Lopes; 3. b, Man O’ War; 4. a Chicago Black Hawks; 5. d, Mutombo, 6. Mark Ingram, New Orleans Saints (College: Alabama); 7. a, Lindros; 8. b, Unitas; 9. c, Hernandez; 10. d, Kamloops