Lethbridge Sun Times Digital Paper

Current Temperature

3.4°C

December 17, 2018 December 17, 2018

Terry Fox legacy lives on

Posted on September 19, 2018 by Lethbridge Sun Times

The legacy of Terry Fox lives on, continuing to make a difference for cancer victims across the country.
Around 100 runners gathered at Henderson Lake Sunday afternoon to participate in the 37th annual edition of the Terry Fox Run.
“It is unbelievable that it is going for his sake,” says his uncle, also named Terry Fox, a Lethbridge resident. “I used to babysit Terry and he always had determination and I wasn’t surprised when I heard what he was going to do to raise money for cancer.”
Later in the uncle’s life, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and beat it, but later discovered more of the disease in his bladder. Through his presentations at schools, uncle Fox realized his nephew helped not only the entire country, but himself work through and beat cancer. “Terry only had 20 per cent chance of beating his cancer and now people have around 80 per cent chance of beating it,” says Fox.
The daughter-in-law of uncle Terry Fox, Bobbie Fox, helped organize this year’s run around the lake and says she is proud of the way the community has come together to share their personal stories of battling cancer, along with celebrating Terry’s accomplishments.
“It is really heartwarming to see how many people share Terry Fox’s vision for a world without cancer and how many people that are devoted to the cause,” says Bobbie. “It is truly a mosaic of all the people who live here in Lethbridge, it is young and old, people who have cancer and beat it or are still fighting it, it’s families who have lost members to cancer, it’s people who just want to support a cause.”
Over the last 37 years, the Terry Fox Foundation has raised over $715 million toward the support of cancer research in Terry’s name. The Lethbridge run hopes to raise over $5,000 to help aid that research. Donations are accepted all year round, and can be done at TerryFox.org.
New ag entrepreneur program
A new program at Lethbridge College will be teaching tomorrow’s agri-business leaders how to be agents of change in their chosen industry.
The Agriculture Entrepreneur in Residence, or AgENT, is an extracurricular program open to all college students which will allow them to work with industry mentors to solve real problems.
On Thursday, the program was presented to the public with an official launch and will be available for students this semester. AgENT includes workshops and a speaker series with weekly meetings held throughout the school year, In the spring, a competition will be held where students can pitch to industry experts solutions to problems the students have been working on.
The program will provide an opportunity for students to take part in six workshops and focus on subjects such as human-centred design and design thinking. They will also learn about pitches and presentations, and business modelling.
House fire causes damage
One injury was reported and damage was extensive following a garage and house fire on the westside Saturday evening.
The Public Safety Communications Centre received several 911 calls, reporting a garage fire along Lafayette Boulevard West, shortly after 9 p.m. Seventeen firefighters from three stations responded to the blaze and upon arrival they found the garage and attached residence fully engulfed by the fire, according to a press release. Fire crews were able to get the fire under control in just over an hour, leaving the property almost completely destroyed, along with a vehicle and trailer.
The residents were able to evacuate the home and called 911, however, one of the residents was injured in an effort to extinguish the fire and was treated on scene.
Fire Investigators attended the scene to complete a preliminary investigation and will be returning this morning to complete a full investigation. Anyone with photographs or videos of the fire is asked to contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at (403) 320-3811, or email the information to fireprevention@lethbridge.ca.

Leave a Reply

Get More Lethbridge Sun Times
Log In To Comment Latest Paper Subscribe