Lethbridge Sun Times Digital Paper

Current Temperature

8.3°C

November 14, 2018 November 14, 2018

Manslaughter charge laid

Posted on September 9, 2015 by Lethbridge Sun Times

Lethbridge Regional Police Services announced on Saturday that they have charged a 38-year-old Lethbridge man with manslaughter in what is Lethbridge’s fifth homicide of the year.
Gifford George Good Dagger, a 47-year-old Lethbridge resident, was found unconscious in the alley along the 900 block of 17 Street South Monday around 9:30 p.m. after an assault. He was transported to the hospital with head and internal injuries and died in hospital the following day.
LRPS had initially identified two persons of interest and they were both questioned and released without charges. As further information came to light, police subsequently attended a local hotel where they arrested James Gregory Gurney, 38, of Lethbridge without incident.
Gurney is being charged with one count of manslaughter and will appear in court on Tuesday.
According to the police, the two were known to each other and had been involved in a dispute earlier in the day Monday.
Good Dagger’s body was transported to Calgary for an autopsy on Wednesday. Staff Sgt. Scott Woods of the LRPS criminal investigation section spoke to the media on Wednesday and said that he hoped to get autopsy results by the end of the week. However, the medical examiner has advised the LRPS that an official cause of death will not be listed until further results, including toxicology testing, are received in approximately four months.
Province crowns the Castle
After a 40-plus-year battle, environmental protection and tourism potential has finally trumped big logging operations. At least in the eyes of the Alberta government, which on Friday announced they are further protecting the Castle by the way of two new designations: an expanded Wildland Provincial Park and the creation of a new provincial park.
“Under Parks’ legislation, and with the input of all Albertans, we will permanently protect this special place for future generations to enjoy as we transition the land to support good local jobs in tourism and recreation,” said Shannon Phillips, environment minister, and MLA for Lethbridge West, during the formal announcement Friday morning at the Stone’s Throw Café in the Crowsnest Pass.
“I am very pleased to announce that our government is moving forward to enhance protection of the Castle by creating two new parks. Today, we solidify the Castle area as a true gem.”
Phillips, who was also celebrating her 40th birthday, said this is the fulfillment of a platform commitment, as well as the culmination of many years of work from her party and many other groups.
The Castle will now, after final approval when the legislature resumes, become Alberta’s 77th provincial park, she said to a loud ovation by onlookers and stakeholders gathered at the café.
“Our party has worked for a long time on this issue. There’s a lot of joy around our cabinet table today, I can tell you that,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Get More Lethbridge Sun Times
Log In To Comment Latest Paper Subscribe